A new engine for my car

About 4 weeks ago I bought an new (used) car. After 6.500 km (or 92.500 km operational performance) the engine gave up. I won’t bore you to death with the technical details but to say the least a part broke and destroyed the cylinder. The following images should illustrate this.

First, the dismantled old engine:

Old engine

The dam(n)aged cylinder and cylinder head.

CylinderCylinder Head

Last but not least the new engine.
new engine

So I’ll get a new engine for my car for free, due to warranty :-) Feel free to ask for high resolution pictures.

How I found my lost graphics card

Once upon a time … a friend of mine gave me his graphics card for development purposes. After a while he needed it, because his card died in a thermal inferno. So I had to give it back – and ordered a new one. Meanwhile I wanted to use my old card, but I wasn’t able to find it anywhere in my room. Then I remembered that another friend of mine wanted to test a mulithead environment with the card. Ok, I thought by my self, I will call him later and ask him to give me my graphics card back.

A few days later … I was just updating my Gentoo (Linux). I looked up the system configuration with lsusb and lspci. I was very surprised to read the following line:

03:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Matrox Graphics, Inc. G400/G450 (rev 82).

Ok, now I know where my graphics card is :-)

Trying to repair the audio jack of an Acer notebook … (Part II)

Finally the audio jack was replaced with the line-in jack. The picture below shows the result. As you may notice there is only one jack left.

replaced audio jack

Btw, thanks to Mario “The master of circuits” W.

So the reassembling process could be started. I was very suprised that the whole process took only 45 minutes and that the damn thing worked afterwords. The next picture should supply evidence:

reassembled notebook

But as in every reassembling process there was one part left. A damn little screw :-)


Trying to repair the audio jack of an Acer notebook … (Part I)

On a journey to spain I destroyed the audio jack of my Acer notebook. Hence, I can’t plug the notebook to the sound system of my car anymore. So I decided to repair it by my self. The easiest way to do this is to replace the audio jack with the line-in jack (which I don’t need). So I had to disassemble the notebook. You can see the result of the disassembling on the first picture shown below. The second shows the destroyed audio jack. Read more about the repairing process in part II :-)

Notebook partsaudio jack